Like many entrepreneurs, my weight has fluctuated over the years. I’m probably not alone either. Let’s be honest, Losing weight is one of the most common goals that people have with regards to their health.
Aside from the physical aspect, being overweight can lead to numerous health-related issues like diabetes and heart disease. Another truth that you should come to terms with is that losing weight is not easy. Whoever tells you otherwise is lying and probably just wants your money. Losing weight involves a great deal of hard work and for you to succeed, you should do it right.
If you want to get rid of those extra pounds the right and healthy way, here are some guidelines that you should keep in mind:
• Consult with your doctor – talk with your doctor if you indeed need to lose weight and that it’s the right time for you to do so. This step is also imperative if you have health issues like diabetes, hypertension, and / or undergoing a special diet.
• Set realistic and reasonable goals – the healthy approach to weight loss is to drop 0.5 to 2 pounds per week. This should be a good ballpark to estimate just how you will progress with your weight loss journey. Forget about going into fad diets because while they promise rapid weight loss, they are far from sustainable and you’ll often gain back the weight and more.
• Set a daily calorie target – weight loss basically comes down to burning more calories than you consume. There are many online resources that you can use to find out your daily caloric requirements for losing weight. Alternatively, you can consult with a nutritionist if you have one.
• Refrain from setting a very low caloric target – aside from the fact that it can be unsustainable because you are simply starving yourself, very low calorie consumption can actually lead to weight gain. This is because your body will store the calories as fat as opposed to burning them.
• Build a plan that goes in line with your wants and needs – build a weight loss plan that is tweaked based on your own needs and requirements. Otherwise, you will just fail on adhering to your plan.
• Incorporate a good exercise regimen – find a physical activity that you enjoy and do it regularly. Whether you lift weights or attend Zumba classes, exercise is one the most important elements of healthy weight loss.